Re: sanity error with pg_dump on postgresql 7.0.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, bain(at)tcsn(dot)co(dot)za
Subject: Re: sanity error with pg_dump on postgresql 7.0.2
Date: 2003-01-07 15:29:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org> writes:
> I am forwarding this on behalf of bain(at)tcsn(dot)co(dot)za who is at a client
> site and cannot email.

> I did a search and found a mail stating that its possibly related to
> a deleted user having ownership of the table.
> "http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=5653159&list=10" I
> checked and indeed the owner that created the table no longer exists.
> Unfortunately I have no idea who that user was.

You don't need to know. Get the old owner's sysid with
SELECT relowner FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'busted_table';
then create a user with the appropriate sysid:
CREATE USER foo WITH SYSID nnn;

Once you've done that, consider upgrading to a more recent Postgres.
It's been a good long while since pg_dump would choke on this situation.