Re: what can go in root.crt ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what can go in root.crt ?
Date: 2020-06-04 22:03:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> writes:
> On 06/04/20 17:31, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Do we actually do any of this sort of thing? I confess my impression was
>> this is all handled by the openssl libraries, we just hand over the
>> certs and let openssl do its thing. Am I misinformed about that?

> By analogy to other SSL libraries I have worked with, my guess would
> be that there are certain settings and callbacks available that would
> determine some of what it is doing.

It's possible that we could force openssl to validate cases it doesn't
accept now. Whether we *should* deviate from its standard behavior is
a fairly debatable question though. I would not be inclined to do so
unless we find that many other consumers of the library also do that.
Overriding a library in its specific area of expertise seems like a
good way to get your fingers burnt.