Re: BUG #16560: Strange behavior with polygon and NaN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16560: Strange behavior with polygon and NaN
Date: 2020-07-29 18:48:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> While working with Chris Hajas on merging Postgres 12 with Greenplum
> Database we stumbled upon the following strange behavior in the geometry
> type polygon:

Yeah, I'd imagine that none of the geometric operators/functions take
any thought for NaNs; if they behave sanely it's purely accidental.
Not really sure what we'd do about that --- operators returning
boolean, for instance, don't have a great way to handle it. (I doubt
returning NULL would be nice.) Going forward it might be best
to disallow NaNs in geometric values, perhaps?