[Pljava-dev] SecurityManager and Equinox OSGi

From: nathanegge at yahoo(dot)com (Nathan Egge)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] SecurityManager and Equinox OSGi
Date: 2011-10-11 16:00:23
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi Johann,

Thank you for all your hard work. ?I have been using pl/Java for quite sometime and am happy to see it actively maintained and developed once again.

Recently I rebuilt my project using OSGi so I could have multiple versions of the same jar in the same application. ?This worked well when running as a stand alone project, but when embedded in pl/Java I kept getting a BundleException due to missing permissions:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle "com.myproject_1.0.0 [1]" could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Permission: (org.osgi.framework.PackagePermission javax.sql exportonly), Missing Constraint: Import-Package: javax.sql; version="0.0.0"

After sometime with the remote debugger, I traced the reason back to the fact that when there is a SecurityManager present, Equinox OSGi uses a java.security.ProtectionDomain to check for export permissions and doesn't expose any of the default packages from rt.jar. ?I am running this as untrusted code (LANGUAGE javaU) so I simply modified Backend.java to allow me to clear the SecurityManager, i.e., System.setSecurityManager(null), from inside the static method call.

I was wondering,?do you have any plans to either (1) remove the SecurityManager from untrusted code execution or (2) fix the java.security.* issues so that OSGi permission checking works? ?I am currently able to work around this just fine via a patch, but I am not sure how many other libraries are impacted by the presence of a SecurityManager.

I am happy to provide a working example if it would help.

Sincerely,

Nathan