Re: Help needed in Search

From: planas <jslozier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Siva Palanisamy <siva_p(at)hcl(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help needed in Search
Date: 2011-09-28 21:46:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 12:33 +0530, Siva Palanisamy wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am trying to retrieve the contact names based on the keyed search
> string. It performs good for the English alphabets and behaves
> strangely for special chars such as _,/,\,%

The % character is used by SQL as the wild card for searching. To search
for Mecklenburg county (in North Carolina) from a list of US counties
you might try meck% to find all the counties that start with meck. (%
meck for those that end in meck and %meck% for any that contain meck).
The use of % is in the SQL standard and is used by all the all the SQL
dialects I am familiar with.

> My query in the function is similar to
>

> SELECT contact_name FROM contacts WHERE LOWER(contact_name) LIKE
> LOWER('_McDonald%') ORDER BY LOWER(contact_name) ASC LIMIT 1;

I would expect you to get anything that starts with _mcdonald
(_mcdonald, james) not say james mcdonald (%mcdonald% would work) . The
underline (_) is not the same as a space. To search with leading space
try '% mcdonald%'

> It looks like, during searching, it retrieves all the contact names
> instead of the desired. The similar bizarre happens for the above
> mentioned special chars. I need to support these. How do I educate
> postgres to consider these chars? Please guide me.
>

> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Siva.

> ::DISCLAIMER::

> this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily
> reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
> modification, distribution and / or publication of
> this message without the prior written consent of the author of this
> e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
> immediately. Before opening any mail and

Jay Lozier
jslozier(at)gmail(dot)com