sorting months according to fiscal year

From: Enzen user <anushka(dot)achaiah(at)enzentech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: sorting months according to fiscal year
Date: 2011-08-22 13:27:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi
I have to rearrange the months according to the fiscal year i.e from April
to march and use the same in the order by clause of a query.
I have written the following postgresql function for the same, but to_number
is returning an error.
Can you please tell me where i'm going wrong?
Instead of the function to_number can you suggest any other function that
will convert a particular month to its corresponding month number(ex:
april=4 or jan=1)

CREATE FUNCTION sort_month(to_number('April','MM')) RETURNS numeric AS $$
DECLARE

BEGIN

CASE WHEN 4 THEN 1
WHEN 5 THEN 2