Re: security definer default for some PL languages (SQL/PSM)?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: security definer default for some PL languages (SQL/PSM)?
Date: 2007-01-07 16:47:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> SQL/PSM default for SQL procedures are SECURITY DEFINER (like views), but
> PostgreSQL default is SECURITY CALLLER. Is acceptable to define security
> flag in dependency to used language?

I'd vote no, even if Peter is wrong and you're right about what the spec
says. A PL gets to set the rules within its function body, not outside.
Next you'll be telling us that the standard requires that the CREATE
FUNCTION not use a dollar-quoted function body ... to which the answer
will be "too bad". I think the principle of least surprise dictates
that security properties shouldn't be inconsistent across PLs.