create table within a schema

From: Vincent De Groote <vdg(dot)encelade(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: create table within a schema
Date: 2011-05-06 11:10:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

I have the following code:

create schema test;

create type test.my_type as enum ( 'a', 'b' );

create table test.my_table_1 (
id bigserial not null,
type test.my_type not null,
length bigint,
primary key ( id )
);

create sequence test.my_sequence_id;

create table test.my_table_2 (
id bigint not null default public.nextval ( test.my_sequence_id ),
type test.my_type not null,
length bigint,
primary key ( id )
);

This last create operation fails with the message

ERROR: missing FROM-clause entry for table "test"

Could someone explain me that error ? What are the difference between
the table my_table_1 and the table my_table_2 ?
The documentation show that the table creation must be followed by a
statement like
ALTER SEQUENCE tablename_colname_seq OWNED BY tablename.colname;
but the table creation has been rejected.

Thanks for your reply

Vincent De Groote