How to calculate shared memory size

From: Rébeli-Szabó Tamás <pub(at)rblst(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to calculate shared memory size
Date: 2020-09-15 14:15:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I want to do a proper calculation of the number of huge pages needed for
PostgreSQL to start.

To do that, I need a good approximation of how much shared memory will
be requested at server startup.

Looking at the shared memory calculation in the source (ipci.c), I can
see that two terms stand out:

size = add_size(size, BufferShmemSize()); ---> shared_buffers
size = add_size(size, XLOGShmemSize()); --> 1/32 * shared_buffers, but
max WAL segment size

If I use only those two terms ( shared buffers + WAL segment size) for
my calculation, the result will be off by a lot, especially with bigger
shared buffers (e.g. 32 GB).

What are any other major addends (in the order of 10 megabytes or more)
that I need to take into account to get a better result?

Regards,

tamas