Re: [HACKERS] inherited GROUP BY is busted ... I need some help here

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] inherited GROUP BY is busted ... I need some help here
Date: 1999-06-06 17:53:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I've been chasing Chris Bitmead's coredump report from earlier today.
> I find that it can be reproduced very easily. For example:
> regression=> select f1 from int4_tbl group by f1;
> < no problem >
> regression=> select f1 from int4_tbl* group by f1;
> < core dump >

We had tentatively agreed not to fix this for 6.5, but I got more
worried about it when I noticed that this particular simple case
worked in 6.4.2. I don't like regressing ... so I dug into it and
have just committed a fix.

It turns out that pretty much *anything* involving grouping or
aggregation would fail if the query used inheritance, because the
necessary preprocessing wasn't getting done in that case. I think
that's a big enough bug to justify fixing at this late date. (Besides,
the fixes do not change the non-inheritance case, so I don't think
I could have broken anything that was working...)