Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow

From: Bernhard Schrader <bernhard(dot)schrader(at)innogames(dot)de>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade 8.3 to 9.0, shutdown is to slow
Date: 2011-01-27 15:44:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am Donnerstag, den 27.01.2011, 09:18 -0600 schrieb Kevin Grittner:
> Bernhard Schrader <bernhard(dot)schrader(at)innogames(dot)de> wrote:
>
> > what maybe is also interesting, if i start the database manually i
> > have a huge waiting IO of 23% for a time of maybe 2-5 minutes, i
> > think it is because of the fragmentation of the tables.
> >
> > is the shutdown so slow because of the waiting io? but why can i
> > stop it as user root without problems...
>
> How do you "stop it as user root", exactly? If you kill PostgreSQL
> too abruptly, the recovery could easily run for several minutes with
> a lot of I/O while it recovers.
>
> Taking pg_upgrade out of the picture for a minute -- how long do
> shutdowns and startups normally take you?
>
> -Kevin

well, i tested it now with user postgres, the same command as the
program, and it didnt shut down the server, the log gives me the notice
that it want to shut down but it doesnt happen, maybe this stop method
is to "friendly". i tested it with the already running db, so there were
no waiting io or anything.. with option "-m fast" it stops without
problems.

normally i do it as user root with /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 (stop|
start) and the shutdown takes about 5-10 seconds, the start the same but
with some waiting io, which takes up to 5 minutes of bad perfomance.