Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"
Date: 2013-05-16 13:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 05/16/2013 05:41 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> And VPATH building of extension is crucially important for me, as the
>> easiest way I've found to build and package a given extension against
>> all currently supported version of PostgreSQL.

> Is there documented support for VPATH builds?

The core code certainly builds okay in VPATH mode, and I would agree
with Dimitri that pgxs builds should as well. But this is more of an
autoconf+make feature than ours, so I'm not sure why you'd expect us
to document it.

Having said that, if a particular extension's makefile contains features
that cause it to not build VPATH, then presumably that extension's
author doesn't care.