Re: Highly Efficient Custom Sorting

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Eliot Gable <egable+pgsql-performance(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Highly Efficient Custom Sorting
Date: 2010-07-04 02:47:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Excerpts from Merlin Moncure's message of sáb jul 03 18:53:46 -0400 2010:

> What about my suggestion doesn't work for your requirements? (btw,
> let me disagree with my peers and state pl/perl is lousy for this type
> of job, only sql/and pl/sql can interact with postgresql variables
> natively for the most part).

IIRC the other reason pl/perl sucks for this kind of thing is that it
forces a subtransaction to be created before the function call, which is
expensive. (I might be misremembering and what actually causes a
subtransaction is a SPI call inside a PL/Perl function, which wouldn't
apply here.)