Re: received immediate shutdown request caused cluster failover

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Yi Sun <yinan81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: received immediate shutdown request caused cluster failover
Date: 2020-11-20 06:17:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Yi Sun <yinan81(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Besides command run(like pg_ctl) can cause "received immediate shutdown
> request" any other reason can cause this please?

That message indicates that something sent the postmaster process a
SIGQUIT signal (which is all that "pg_ctl stop -m immediate" does).
There's no speculation to that: a look at postmaster.c will convince
you that there is no other way to reach that message. So you need
to be looking for things that would be sending SIGQUIT unexpectedly.

I don't know much about Patroni, but maybe something in that
environment thinks that SIGQUIT'ing random processes is a good
thing to do.