Re: 6 SCSI Disks RAID 10 x 2 SCSI DISKS RAID1 + 4 SCSI Disks RAID 10

From: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
To: Renato Oliveira <renato(dot)oliveira(at)grant(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 6 SCSI Disks RAID 10 x 2 SCSI DISKS RAID1 + 4 SCSI Disks RAID 10
Date: 2010-05-06 13:36:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

I think it's better to put all disk in a RAID10. Your max throughput
with 6 disks will be a 50% better that with 4 disks, and operating
system once booted, does not have to read/write but a few times.

I would divide RAID volume in several partitions: at least, operating
system (/), swap and database (/srv/database) and better another for
homes (/homes). Optionally, another one for logfiles (/var/log).

That's my suggestion. Perhaps somebody has another point of view, but I
prefer to rely in RAID controller and not in putting database stuff in
separated disks.