Re: RFE: Make statistics robust for unplanned events

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Patrik Novotny <panovotn(at)redhat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFE: Make statistics robust for unplanned events
Date: 2021-04-22 22:35:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> We already *almost* pay the full cost of durably storing the
> information used by autovacuum.c's relation_needs_vacanalyze() to
> determine if a VACUUM is required -- we're only missing
> new_dead_tuples/tabentry->n_dead_tuples. Why not go one tiny baby step
> further to fix this issue?

Definitely worth thinking about, but I'm a little confused about how
you see this working. Those pg_class fields are updated by vacuum
(or analyze) itself. How could they usefully serve as input to
autovacuum's decisions?

> Admittedly, storing new_dead_tuples durably is not sufficient to allow
> ANALYZE to be launched on schedule when there is a hard crash. It is
> also insufficient to make sure that insert-driven autovacuums get
> launched on schedule.

I'm not that worried about the former case, but the latter seems
like kind of a problem.