Re: [HACKERS] trouble with rules

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
Cc: vadim(at)krs(dot)ru, eberger(at)gewi(dot)kfunigraz(dot)ac(dot)at, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] trouble with rules
Date: 1999-02-07 22:32:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> It looks to me, that it was taken out only to move
> INTERSECT in the easy way. But this time the easy way is
> IMHO the wrong way.
> Removing a documented, released feature is something that
> causes havy trouble for those who want to upgrade to a
> new version.
> Next time please keep existing syntax/features until
> there is an agreement of the developers team that it has
> to die.

Calm down Jan ;-). I think what happened here is a slightly careless
merge of the 6.3 - based INTERSECT/EXPECT code into the current code.
Not a deliberate removal of a feature, just a foulup.

This does suggest that we need to be more careful when applying patches
developed against old system versions.

> BTW: There is 1 shift/reduce conflict in gram.y (was there
> before I fixed multi action rules). Who introduced that?

Yeah, I'm seeing that too. Same cause perhaps? It seems to have
appeared in rev 2.43, when the INTERSECT/EXPECT code was checked in.