Re: Failure during initdb - creating dictionaries ... FATAL: could not access file "$libdir/libdict_snowball": No such file or directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jonathan Groll <lists(at)groll(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failure during initdb - creating dictionaries ... FATAL: could not access file "$libdir/libdict_snowball": No such file or directory
Date: 2009-05-14 15:30:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Jonathan Groll <lists(at)groll(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 09:54:56AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I find this pretty suspicious. On my OSX machine, the contents of the
>> pkglibdir directory are all named something.so:
>> dict_snowball.so* utf8_and_euc_jp.so*

> And mine are also .so after doing a regular make build with the same
> tarball (with the exception of those whose name starts with lib*). I
> was under the impression that OS X used .dylib for shared libraries(1)
> - look in /usr/lib for example.

I don't recall the details at the moment, but I think we intentionally
didn't adopt the .dylib extension for these files because of some subtle
difference between them and plain shared libraries. I notice that
"file" describes them as "bundles" whereas what's in /usr/lib seems to
get described as "dynamically linked shared library" ... but the
implications escape my memory.