Re: initdb error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David(dot)I(dot)Noel(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb error
Date: 2012-12-13 21:54:21
Lists: pgsql-general

David Noel <david(dot)i(dot)noel(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 12/13/12, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> (I"m wondering if zfs has issues with the O_DIRECT flag that we'll
>> probably try to use with pg_xlog files.)

> I /boot off of a UFS volume so I created a directory there, chown and
> chmod'ed it, then ran initdb again. Same error, unfortunately.

Hm. So far as I can find from googling, ZFS doesn't support O_DIRECT,
or if it does the support is very new. However, if that were the
problem then you ought to be seeing EINVAL or similar, not ENOENT;
and what's more the file should have gotten created before we'd try to
open it with O_DIRECT, so it should have been there after --noclean.

So I'm still baffled. Back to wondering if strace will show anything
interesting.