Re: Database views metadata always nullable columns

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: basuraspam - <basuraspam0(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database views metadata always nullable columns
Date: 2017-06-02 14:21:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

basuraspam - <basuraspam0(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Doing some automatic metadata parsing job against postgresql schema I
> just find that database views always shown all its column as nullable, it
> doesn't matter what are the constraints in the original table columns used
> as source to create the view.
> I just checked it against infomation_schema and pg_attribute with the same
> result.

regression=# create table foo (f1 int, f2 int not null);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# select column_name, is_nullable from information_schema.columns where table_name = 'foo';
column_name | is_nullable
-------------+-------------
f1 | YES
f2 | NO
(2 rows)

regression=# select attname,attnotnull from pg_attribute where attrelid = 'foo'::regclass and attnum > 0;
attname | attnotnull
f1 | f
f2 | t
(2 rows)

So I don't see anything particularly broken here. Maybe you should
provide some concrete examples rather than making sweeping claims.