Re: postgresql-8.3.7 unexpected connection closures

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: a(dot)maclean(at)cas(dot)edu(dot)au
Cc: General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql-8.3.7 unexpected connection closures
Date: 2009-06-19 00:40:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 09:12 +1000, Andrew Maclean wrote:
> I posted this a while back but got no useful responses.
>
> I have the following error message:
>
> "Error connecting to the server: server closed the connection unexpectedly.
> This probably means that the server terminated abnormally before or
> while processing the request."

Look at the PostgreSQL server log to see what happened. On Windows, I
think this is in your PostgreSQL data directory.

(List members: This seems to confuse Windows admins a lot - they're not
used to application log files, apparently. Is it worth having the win32
version of the server report sudden backend death via the Windows event
logging system, with a reference to the Pg log file? I'm not sure, since
it's not clear that most Windows admins look at Event Viewer either...)

--
Craig Ringer