extent within given distance

From: User Map <map(dot)user(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: extent within given distance
Date: 2008-05-16 09:30:26
Lists: pgsql-general

hi,
Is there any way to calculate the extent(geom) on basis of the given distance from a point, such as the point is in the middle. I have tried the Distance(geom,geom)<50, for calculating extent, but it is very slow in processing. My data SRID is 27700, and so the units are meters, i want to extract the geom in the specified meters.
any help will be appriciated.
thanks