Re: Stupid question about WAL archiving

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stupid question about WAL archiving
Date: 2008-01-18 20:34:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I'll set up a cron job to remove them for now, however I'll have a
> look at pg_standby

Keep in mind that if you delete a log segment that's not yet been sent
to the standby, you've hosed the standby --- you'll have to take a fresh
base backup and reload the standby with it. This is probably okay for
disaster recovery, but you don't want your script creating the disaster
all by itself.