Re: Error: rows returned by function are not all of the same row type

From: Andrey Sychev <andrey(dot)sychev(at)cifrasoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error: rows returned by function are not all of the same row type
Date: 2019-07-05 09:39:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you very much for answering my question, Tom.
Yes, I have always assumed that returning from function without
calling SPI_freetuptable is not good idea, but I do not know another
way to achieve same result.

As I am not expert in PostgreSQL internals and mostly work according
to official documentation, I never know about tuplestore before.

This look like pretty interesting idea.

I have searched for tuplestore over Internet and found some
topics, relative to subject:

1. https://postgres.cz/wiki/Iter%C3%A1tor_pole
2. https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1073862553.1475.93.camel%40jeff
3.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/753432.21663.qm%40web65511.mail.ac4.yahoo.com
(with your comment)
4. http://web.mit.edu/ghudson/trac/attic/src/postgresql-7.4.5/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.c

I have examined this topics briefly and got some questions:

1. As I understand there are tests for SFRM_Materialize in code above.
In my case a caller of my function is PL/pgSQL procedure.
Does it accept this returning mode?

2. Our current production server versions is 9.1 and 9.6.
Do this versions support returning of tuplestore?

3. Currently my function defined as "RETURNS SETOF".
Does definition of the function need to be changed if I rewrite code to
return tuplestore?

--
Best regards,