Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS
Date: 2009-02-10 10:59:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Now, if you want to argue that we should get rid of SET WITHOUT OIDS
> altogether, I'm not sure I could dispute it. But if we have the
> ability
> to do that ISTM we should offer the reverse too.

We should keep the ability to have OIDs. Some people use it, though not
many.

But the ability to turn this on/off is not an important one, since even
the people who use OIDs seldom use this. They have CTAS; let them use
it.

So I say let's drop support now for ALTER TABLE SET WITHOUT OIDS and
don't bother to implement SET WITH OIDS. Less weird corners in the
software means fewer bugs.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com