Re: MD5 password issue

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MD5 password issue
Date: 2009-01-15 17:24:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 18:05 +0100, Andreas Wenk wrote:

> postgres=# SELECT rolname,rolpassword from pg_authid;
> rolname | rolpassword
> - -----------+-------------------------------------
> postgres |
> pgadmin | plaintext
> odie | md5passswwwwooooorrrd
>
> The user odie was created with:
> CREATE ROLE odie LOGIN ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'feedme';
>
> The user pgadmin was created with:
> $ createuser -a -d -P -N -U postgres pgadmin

Per the help. You need to pass -E to have it be an encrypted (md5 hash)
style password. What version of PostgreSQL is this as I recall all newer
versions do this by default.

Usage:
createuser [OPTION]... [ROLENAME]

-s, --superuser role will be superuser
-S, --no-superuser role will not be superuser
-d, --createdb role can create new databases
-D, --no-createdb role cannot create databases
-r, --createrole role can create new roles
-R, --no-createrole role cannot create roles
-l, --login role can login (default)
-L, --no-login role cannot login
-i, --inherit role inherits privileges of roles it is a
member of (default)
-I, --no-inherit role does not inherit privileges
-c, --connection-limit=N connection limit for role (default: no
limit)
-P, --pwprompt assign a password to new role
-E, --encrypted encrypt stored password
-N, --unencrypted do not encrypt stored password
-e, --echo show the commands being sent to the server
--help show this help, then exit
--version output version information, then exit

Connection options:
-h, --host=HOSTNAME database server host or socket directory
-p, --port=PORT database server port
-U, --username=USERNAME user name to connect as (not the one to
create)
-W, --password force password prompt

If one of -s, -S, -d, -D, -r, -R and ROLENAME is not specified, you will
be prompted interactively.

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997