Re: String functions like split() and join() in plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David U(dot)" <davidu(at)everydns(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: String functions like split() and join() in plpgsql
Date: 2003-01-14 02:39:52
Lists: pgsql-general

"David U." <davidu(at)everydns(dot)net> writes:
> I'm writing a trigger to change the third field in a varchar record. (it's
> an SOA field from DNS) and I can do it in plperl but since it needs to be a
> trigger I have to do it in plpgsql (or other right?).

There's nothing to stop you from calling a plperl function from a
plpgsql trigger function. If you've got complicated string-mashing
requirements, I'd certainly recommend coding them in plperl (or pltcl).

Someday someone should get around to implementing trigger support for
plperl, but in the meantime a two-layer approach seems like your answer.