Large Selects and cursors..

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow(dot)Mun(dot)Heng(at)wdc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large Selects and cursors..
Date: 2008-09-05 01:22:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I frequently query PG for between 10k - 65k rows of data and was
wondering if I should be considering usage of cursors.

I’m not too well versed with it’s purpose but based on the docs, it is
supposed to be more efficient and also gives the impression of
responsiveness.

Currently, when I do these large selects, there will be a few minutes
(to tens of minutes) of unresponsiveness before the results come out.