text .vs. varchar

From: Joao Ferreira <jmcferreira(at)critical-links(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: text .vs. varchar
Date: 2008-08-12 11:49:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I have a big database in which much information is stored in TEXT type
columns (I did this initially because I did not want to limit the
maximum size of the string to be stored)... but...

.. let's say I choose an upper limit (p.ex. 200) for the string sizes
and I start a fresh database with VARCHAR(200).

What tradeoffs can I expect ? disk usage ? query execution times ?

thx
Joao