Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.6 crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.6 crash
Date: 2006-02-09 15:14:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> PostgreSQL promptly uses all available memory for the query and
> subsequently crashes.

I'll bet a nickel this is on a Linux machine with OOM kill enabled.
What does the postmaster log show --- or look in the kernel log to
see if it mentions anything about an out-of-memory kill.

> freedb=# create table ucode as select distinct ucode from cdtitles group
> by ucode having count(ucode)>1 ;

What does EXPLAIN show as the plan for that? If it's a hash aggregate,
try with "enable_hashagg" turned off. How many distinct ucode values
are there in the table?