Re: pg_upgrade and missing loadable libraries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and missing loadable libraries
Date: 2017-06-04 18:04:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The problem is that in some cases extensions are improperly removed or
> the extension has bugs that leaves pg_proc entries around that aren't
> dumped, but are seen by pg_upgrade and generate an error. In these
> cases, and I have seen a few recently, we don't give the user any way to
> find the cause except ask for assistance, i.e. we don't show them the
> query we used to find the problem libraries.

Meh. I think that sort of situation is one in which non-experts are
going to need help in any case. It's unlikely that pg_upgrade can,
or should try to, offer them advice sufficient to fix the problem.

Also, I completely reject the idea that pg_upgrade's output should
be optimized for that situation rather than the typical "you forgot
to install these extensions in the new installation" case.