Re: Meson far from ready on Windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Meson far from ready on Windows
Date: 2024-06-23 10:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-06-21 Fr 11:15 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> As a practical matter, I don't think MSVC is coming back. The
> buildfarm was already changed over to use meson, and it would be
> pretty disruptive to try to re-add buildfarm coverage for a
> resurrected MSVC on the eve of beta2. I think we should focus on
> improving whatever isn't quite right in meson -- plenty of other
> people have also complained about various things there, me included --
> rather than trying to undo over a year's worth of work by lots of
> people to get things on Windows switched over to MSVC.

As a practical matter, whether the buildfarm client uses meson or not is
a matter of one line in the client's config file. Support for the old
system is still there, of course, as it's required on older branches. So
the impact would be pretty minimal if we did decide to re-enable the old
build system. There are only two MSVC animals building master right now:
drongo (run by me) and hammerkop (run by our friends at SRA OSS).

I am not necessarily advocating it, just setting the record straight
about how  easy it would be to switch the buildfarm.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan