AW: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Jan Wieck'" <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date: 2001-05-22 08:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As a rule of thumb, online applications that hold open
> transactions during user interaction are considered to be
> Broken By Design (tm). So I'd slap the programmer/design
> team with - let's use the server box since it doesn't contain
> anything useful.

We have a database system here, and not an OLTP helper app.
A database system must support all sorts of mixed usage from simple
OLTP to OLAP. Imho the usual separation on different servers gives more
headaches than are necessary.

Thus above statement can imho be true for one OLTP application, but not
for all applications on one db server.

Andreas