AW: Re: File system performance and pg_xlog (More info)

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Doug McNaught'" <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: Re: File system performance and pg_xlog (More info)
Date: 2001-05-08 08:21:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > >From a portability standpoint, I think if we go anywhere, it would be to
> > write directly into device files representing sections of a disk.
>
> That makes sense to me. On "traditional" Unices, we could use the raw
> character device for a partition (eg /dev/rdsk/* on Solaris),

On Solaris this is (imho) the exact wrong way to do it. On Solaris you would
typically use logical volumes created with Veritas LVM.
Imho the times where you think of a raw device beeing one physical disk partition
are fortunately over, since LVM's are widespread enough.

> and on Linux we'd use /dev/raw*, which is a mapping to a specific partition
> established before PG startup.

Usually you would use a symlink to such a raw device if such a device needs to be
in /dev.

> I guess there would need to be a system table that keeps track of
> (dev, offset, size) tuples for each WAL file.

This would need to be hidden in a new smgr layer.

Andreas