AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?
Date: 2000-11-07 16:42:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am working on eliminating the "relation NNN modified while in use"
> misfeature by instead grabbing a lock on each relation at first use
> in a statement, and holding that lock till end of transaction.

As anticipated, I object :-)
If you do this you will most likely add the code to the wrong places,
since what we really need is a lock for the duration of one statement only.

Otherwise you will only fix this situation for those cases where the application
is actually inside a transaction. And this is (and hopefully stays) not mandatory.

Additionally we would have the discussed lockout of admin tasks ...

Andreas