AW: AW: lztext and compression ratios...

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de'" <JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'markus(dot)oberhumer(at)jk(dot)uni-linz(dot)ac(dot)at'" <markus(dot)oberhumer(at)jk(dot)uni-linz(dot)ac(dot)at>
Subject: AW: AW: lztext and compression ratios...
Date: 2000-07-13 08:47:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > LZO and the LZO algorithms and implementations are distributed under the
> > terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) { auf Deutsch }.
>
> GPL is alone a fatal objection for something that has to go into the
> guts of Postgres.

Yes, but the author states that special projects can get a special license.

> What assurances does LZO offer that we won't be stepping on a patent mine?

There was a whole discussion on the author's website explaining what he did
to guarantee the free use of the algorithms, but unfortunately I don't find
it anymore.

The author wants PGP encrypted mail which I don't have.
Maybe he would have a comment for us "BSD License defending PostgreSQL'ers"
if someone forwarded this to him.
(http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/pgp.html)

I can tell you from experience that the performance of these algorithms is
really
astonishing.

Andreas