Re: Eire (Republic of Ireland) Press Contact

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Eire (Republic of Ireland) Press Contact
Date: 2007-11-22 21:29:01
Lists: pgeu-general

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 21:04 +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 22/11/2007 20:58, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Right now, I'm the Press Contact for both UK and ROI/Eire.
> >
> > I'm expecting to be more active on the UK/European side, so if there was
> > a willing person to step into the role, I would be more than willing to
> > hand that over.
> >
> > I've never had contact with any Irish press, so the duty hasn't been
> > burdensome, but I'm thinking that might also be because I'm not in the
> > right country/city to make a big difference there.
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> What is involved in this job? If it's simply a matter of sending stuff
> on to the press, I could do it - though I'm based in Galway, whereas the
> national press is based mostly in Dublin.

Well, you get a shiny email address, in this case ie(at)postgresql(dot)org,
lots of spam, occasional real press contacts, no money, no thanks, plus
the responsibility to tell everybody you can about PostgreSQL, focusing
hopefully on the right people, plus hanging out at any major trade shows
and giving talks when local interest groups ask. Phew.

It's what you make it, really. I meet lots of interesting people and its
always been a very positive experience for me.

Interested?

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com