pg_standby observation

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: pg_standby observation
Date: 2007-09-13 18:38:41
Lists: pgsql-general

I think it would be useful if pg_standby (in version 8.3 contrib) could
be observed in some way.

Right now I use my own standby script, because every time it runs, it
touches a file in a known location. That allows me to monitor that file,
and if it is too stale, I know something must have gone wrong (I have an
archive_timeout set), and I can send an SNMP trap.

Would it be useful to add something similar to pg_standby? Is there a
better way to detect a problem with a standby system, or a more
appropriate place?

The postgres logs do report this also, but it requires more care to
properly intercept the "restored log file ... from archive" messages.

Regards,
Jeff Davis