Symlinking (specific) tables to different Drives

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow(dot)Mun(dot)Heng(at)wdc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Symlinking (specific) tables to different Drives
Date: 2007-09-04 03:51:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm running out of space on one of my partitions and I still have not
gotten all the data loaded yet. I've read that one could symlink the
pg_pg_xlog directory to another drive. I'm wondering if I can do the
same for specific tables as well.

Thanks.

I've already done a pg_dump of the entire schema but have not dropped /
re-init the DB to another location cos I'm afraid I'll lose some items.
(I've to drop the DB, format the partition, merge it w/ another
partition and re-init the DB then restore the DB from the dump)

sigh.. wish it was easier, (meaning, like SQL Server where one can
detach an entire DB/tablespace and then re-attach it elsewhere)

Anyway....
Thanks for the input.