Re: A successor for PQgetssl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A successor for PQgetssl
Date: 2006-04-17 15:25:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have to agree with Martijn here too. It's not all that expensive to
> provide read/write calls to abstract away the specific library being
> used (since psqlODBC, at least, couldn't care less which library is
> being used, really)

You're failing to consider async applications. AFAICS, the *minimum*
API would be
read
write
read ready?
write ready?
get socket so I can use it in select()
(very possibly there's some stuff I missed, considering I haven't
consumed any caffeine yet today...). And that's just considering
the data transport aspect of it. I'm still concerned that SSL-using
apps may wish to twiddle the SSL library in ways we don't even know
about.