Re: CPU-intensive autovacuuming

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
Cc: Shelby Cain <alyandon(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Phil Endecott <spam_from_postgresql_general(at)chezphil(dot)org>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CPU-intensive autovacuuming
Date: 2005-06-11 16:54:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> writes:
> Honestly, I'd prefer to see pg_autovacuum improved to do O(n) rather
> than O(n^2) table activity. At this point, though, I'm probably not
> too likely to have much time to hack pg_autovacuum before 8.1 is
> released, although if it doesn't become integrated by beta feature
> freeze, I might give it a shot.

This would be vastly easier to fix if the code were integrated into the
backend first. In the backend environment you could just keep the info
in a dynahash.c hashtable instead of in a linear list. On the client
side, you have to roll your own hashing (or adapt dynahash to life
outside the backend environment).