Re: Unicode problem ???

From: "John Sidney-Woollett" <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
To: "Priem, Alexander" <ap(at)cict(dot)nl>
Cc: "'Stijn Vanroye'" <s(dot)vanroye(at)farcourier(dot)com>, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unicode problem ???
Date: 2004-04-21 14:51:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Priem, Alexander said:
> Could this be due to the fact that the database was CREATED using
> SQL_ASCII
> encoding? Maybe your solution only works when the database was created
> using
> LATIN1 or UNICODE encoding.

Yes, I suspect

> Maybe I'll just try recreating the database using UNICODE or LATIN1
> encoding
> tomorrow. UNICODE seems the best, right? Or does LATIN1 have more
> possibilities than UNICODE?

Unicode has a larger character set than latin-1. But if you only need to
support latin-1 then use that... Of course, if you have to upgrade to
support unicode later, you'll wish you had started off using latin-1!

I'm no expert on this, so I hope this info is correct.

John Sidney-Woollett