Re: Insert from CSV (comma separated values) file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson(at)jecinc(dot)on(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Insert from CSV (comma separated values) file
Date: 2003-01-16 05:14:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Brian Johnson" <bjohnson(at)jecinc(dot)on(dot)ca> writes:
> I need to insert some values from a CSV file. It's a little more
> complicated than that since I have to do a SELECT query (from one
> table) on one of the values to get the proper value for the INSERT
> query (into another table)

Doesn't seem that hard. Insert the raw data into a temp table using
a command along the lines of
COPY TO temp_table ... WITH DELIMITER ','
and then construct the final result rows with something like
INSERT INTO dest_table
SELECT ..., (SELECT ... FROM other_table), ... FROM temp_table

If that's not enough to get you going, let's see more details.