Re: analyze anomalie

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Uwe Bartels <uwe(dot)bartels(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: analyze anomalie
Date: 2009-06-29 14:29:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Uwe Bartels <uwe(dot)bartels(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> today i found an anomalie running
> analyze verbose <table>

> the output was simply "ANALYZE", which tells me that analyze was running
> successfully. but there was no verbose output. and in the statistics table
> was no updated last_analyze column.

Perhaps you didn't have permission to analyze the table, and had
client_min_messages set too high to see the resulting WARNING?
It would have done something like this:

regression=> analyze verbose tenk1;
WARNING: skipping "tenk1" --- only table or database owner can analyze it
ANALYZE

but if the WARNING got suppressed it would match what you stated.