Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow
Date: 2003-01-16 05:07:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... Whether this is a bug or a feature depends on
>> your point of view --- but there are folks out there who find it to be
>> a life-saver.

> Since it *does* depend on one's point of view, would it be possible to
> have control over this implemented in a session-defined variable (with
> the default in the GUC, of course)?

I have no objection to doing that --- anyone care to contribute code to
make it happen? (I think the trick would be to fold plain-JOIN jointree
entries into FROM-list items in planner.c, somewhere near the code that
hoists sub-SELECTs into the main join tree. But I haven't tried it, and
have no time to in the near future.)