shell script to SQL statement: `pg_dump | psql -U`

From: "filippo" <filippo2991(at)virgilio(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shell script to SQL statement: `pg_dump | psql -U`
Date: 2007-03-20 14:58:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a perl program that I use (also) to copy a database to a
perfect clone having a different name. To perform the operation I
execute from perl the following shell pipe

pg_dump -U postgres -h db_server database_name | psql -U postgres -h
db_server database_name_backup

I'd like to perform the same operation using SQL statement. Is it
possible?

The problem with the current implementation is that sometime pd_dump
and psql ask for password but I want to create the database copy
without any user typing (it is a cron script).