Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY testing woes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY testing woes
Date: 2019-11-24 18:39:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 11/23/19 8:50 PM, Mark Dilger wrote:
>> I have finished reading and applying your three patches and have moved
>> on to testing them.  I hope to finish the review soon.

> After applying all three patches, the stress test that originally
> uncovered the assert in predicate.c no longer triggers any asserts.
> `check-world` passes. The code and comments look good.

Thanks for reviewing!

After sleeping on it, I'm not really happy with what I did in
PrepareTransaction (that is, invent a separate PrePrepare_Notify
function). The idea was to keep that looking parallel to what
CommitTransaction does, and preserve infrastructure against the
day that somebody gets motivated to allow LISTEN or NOTIFY in
a prepared transaction. But on second thought, what would surely
happen when that feature gets added is just that AtPrepare_Notify
would serialize the pending LISTEN/NOTIFY actions into the 2PC
state file. There wouldn't be any need for PrePrepare_Notify,
so there's no point in introducing that. I'll just move the
comment saying that nothing has to happen at that point for NOTIFY.