How does one perform a case-insenstive query on test or char fields

From: af300wsm(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How does one perform a case-insenstive query on test or char fields
Date: 2007-01-09 21:44:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Well, the subject line pretty much says it all. If any clarification
is needed, what I want to do is as follows:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE thisfield = 'some text';

How would I rewrite this query to search through the table looking at
the text in the column "thisfield" for the string "some text" but have
it perform a case insensitive search?

Thanks,
Andy