Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
Cc: "Schwenker, Stephen" <SSchwenker(at)thestar(dot)ca>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem
Date: 2006-12-05 21:09:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 14:56, Glen Parker wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 09:56, Schwenker, Stephen wrote:
> >> I'm using version 7.4.2 on solaris.
> >
> > A few points:
> >
> > 4: Look at migrating to 8.1 or even 8.2 (due out real soon now). There
> > have been a lot of advances in pg since 7.4, and the upgrade is pretty
> > painless as long as the dump / restore isn't too much of a burden.
>
> I couldn't agree more. 8.* is light years from where 7.4 was.
> Just do it, you'll be very happy you did.

I recently tossed 8.1 on my workstation which runs a little reporting
application here. I pointed the app from 7.4 to 8.1 and got a visit
within about an hour from a user, asking if I'd done anything to my
database. Worrying that I'd made some mistake and he was getting an
error or something, I asked why he'd asked, and his comment was that it
now seemed to be much faster. I then commenced to breath again.

8.1 is awesome. I'll be putting 8.2 on my workstation this week. yee
ha!