Re: 7.4.1 upgrade issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4.1 upgrade issues
Date: 2004-03-07 05:59:04
Lists: pgsql-general

"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net> writes:
> ... the issue seems to be more revolving around the
> backend getting so much cpu priority it's not allowing other backends to
> process, or something along those lines.

I can't think of any difference between 7.3 and 7.4 that would create
a problem of that sort where there was none before. For that matter,
since Postgres runs nonprivileged it's hard to see how it could create
a priority problem in any version. I thought the previous suggestion
about added use of hashtables was a pretty good idea. We could
confirm or disprove it by looking at EXPLAIN output.